Session 5 Production Project

Summary

UI Specialist

S – Create a functioning menu, credits, and death screen in collaboration with my team after finishing my session requirements by the end of this cycle

M – By working on each of these individually, I will be able to finish one at a time and finally finishing with the death screen by applying it to on collision.

A – Although I do not have the skills required to create the conditions to transition to death screen, I can look up videos on how to change scenes on collision with an object. This goal is worth the effort because I will learn new skills and create a way for the player to actually fail the game, creating an obstacle the player must avoid to keep playing.

R – By creating a menu, the player will be able to easily navigate through the credits of the game and the game itself. The credits will allow the player to view the contributions of each developer. The death screen will create an instance in which the player may lose the game, creating a goal to avoid a collision and remove all enemies.

T – The deadline is by the end of the session, but it may be done before then.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Designing for Emotion by Aarron Walter

InVision’s Aarron Walter on design culture

Aarron Walter is the Vice President of Design Education at InVision. He has taught design at colleges in the US and Europe for nearly a decade and has spoken all over the world. His message is clear: there are endless amounts of people to hire that can all get the same job done, but what we must focus on is the people themselves, “hire people, not skills.” When creating a product, the team must know how it will feel to use it, and in this, we find people who are best linked to sharing how something feels or how it may feel to other people. There can be many designs that work, so then we must focus on which one feels the best. When working with people you get along with well, you’re more likely to open up and share your thoughts, creating a breeding ground for ideas.

Training Source(s)

0:30 Resizing UI, setting anchor, & offset

0:55 Adding elements

1:45 Effect of Vertical layout – orders UI elements within the given space

3:05 Resizing elements within Vertical Layout

3:15 Layout Element details

4:25 Creating a canvas withing a canvas to create both horizontal and vertical layouts

0:35 Setting button transitions to animation

0:42 Generating the Animation

1:15 Change color of a button based on state

2:02 Testing the button

2:38 Setting a button to non-interactable

Project Timeline

1. Add a Vertical Layout element to our UI Canvas on Main Menu
  2. Resize Canvas to fitted area
  3. Create animation folder
  4. Create animations under automatic for each back button and credits
  5. Set each animations hovering color to a shade darker
  6. Set each animation on click state to a decreased size and lighter shade
  7. Read Salen + Zimmerman Unit 2: Section 17 (p. 202 – full section)
  8. Create a text box in the credits and fill it with what information is known to the player and to the game code but not the player
  9. Read Salen + Zimmerman Unit 2: Section 18, p. 218 – End of Section
  10. Create a second text box in the same credits and fill it with positive or negative feedback systems found within the game

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

I demonstrated innovation by improving the way I displayed different UI screens. Having previously used buttons to switch between different scenes with the UI we needed, I then switched to using the same scene and having each button deactivate its parent empty object and activating the parent of whichever screen the button indicated.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I demonstrated communication by informing my teammates whenever I ran into an issue and worked with them to solve it. I also reached out to them to make sure those who did not have access to the Unity project had emailed me what they had created so I could put it in the game.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I used information by researching why the UI buttons I had animated to shrink to a 0.95 scale when hovered over would loop the animation and not hold the state. With the knowledge I had gained from my research, I managed to solve the issue without consulting any of my teammates.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

I developed life and career skills by learning that sometimes people do not take the initiative in sharing their work, and you will have to ask them if they have what they needed to be done. I also learned that people around me often know more or differently than I do and it’s important to collaborate on simple things, in case someone knows better.

Reactions to the Final Version

“Animated UI present to make the game more satisfying – nice reason, has a personal reason that speaks to the emotion” – Jessica.

This means Jessica saw the appeal to the emotion and agrees that it has a positive effect on the game. Providing feedback to the player increases the interactivity and involvement, leaving the player engaged and satisfied.

“Good use of activations” – Sam G.

After sharing that I had changed from switching scenes to enabling and disabling parent empty objects which represented different scenes, the advisor noted this optimization. The build has fewer scenes that have to be exported both making it faster to export and lowering the size of the game.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Simple – I kept the UI simple by leaving the shape as a simple rectangle with a basic color pallet and using only one animation: shrinking each button to a 0.95 scale on hover. This gave the player feedback on what they were doing to keep them more involved and focussed while not adding more to distract.

Unexpected – We have our background set to a light blue, which is different from the default and the buttons have a unique font that grabs the player’s attention and sets the mood for the game.

Credible – We worked with Sam G. to learn and solve different issues and used our previous knowledge to set up the game, both with UI and the game itself. Using our research we developed new skills and gained new knowledge to use in the future.

Emotional – The buttons animation of shrinking on hover creates a feedback source to the player which appeals to their satisfaction, as mentioned by Jessica under Reactions to Final Version.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

One thing I learned in this session was to, rather than use each button to switch scenes, each one disables and re-enables a set parent of the screen it represents. I also learned to animate UI buttons through the animation tab, shrinking the size of the button on hover. I worked with the look of UI by changing the color and trying out different transition options. I also worked with Sam G. on getting the buttons to not change size/color after being clicked. Another problem I solved was the buttons not holding their state when being hovered over.

I’ve learned to connect with my teammates as by doing this, I both learned how to enable and disable different UI parents and made sure I got everyone’s creations into the game, such as art and sound.

I’ve found that often you will have to reach out to the people you work with because they’ll forget to give you what you needed. It helps keep everyone on track and on focus.

Grammar and Spelling

The grammar tool in use to revise this post is Grammarly.

Editor

Bowen W.